This is a semi-Power Gaming (semi-Low BR) mini-FAQ on creating effective mystic unions.
Unions must do 2 things:
- 1) do damage and 2) not die, for mystic unions this is:
- 1) do arcana and 2) rejuvenating waters (RW)/revive
- Why RW? The healing is nice, but the AP-to-full effect is incredible, fueling high-level combat and mystic arts.
I'll discuss 2 strategies:
- 4-man mystic
- 8-man mystic
noting a 5-man mystic is a compromise for character selection flexibility.
- I'm going to exclude Leucetius from the analysis, since he's accessible only quite late (BR 80), and I'm looking for full-game utility, but imagine that he can fill any role specified. By that measure, maybe Wyngale should be excluded, but I've seen reports of recruiting him at < BR50. I'm also considering only unique leaders here, but please comment on the thread if you find another leader that can sub in.
Important Note on Skills:
- Disable offensive Item Arts (IA). Status inflicting IA can hamper Animalcule and IA commands can reduce likelihood of arcana force triggers.
- If I note a character is filling in an evocation role below, it's best if that character disables all offensive skills except evocations (e.g. hexes/psionics/combat arts).
- For a team that's using RW: disable Kiss of Life/Second Chance, also disable HP restoring Herbs/Lotions; keep active Viv. Herb/Tincture/Hartshorn.
The Reason: you want RW to trigger often, so force trigger it by using mystic healing arts; when reviving KO'd unions, however, you DON'T want RW to fire (or the union will stay dead). Hartshorn+Revitalize should get unions to full health quicker, at lower AP cost, and without risk of catastrophic RW casting.
Everybody needs remedies.
- Evo+remedies is held by Wyngale and Rush (Mystic), these two also qualify for the below:
- Hex+remedies is held by Rhagoh (BR 37, low hp, lotions support), Maddox (BR 36) and Emmy (BR 45, but its a waste to use her here).
- Psi+remedies is held by Irina (BR 76) and Paris.
- Inv+remedies is held by David, Haruko (BR 76), Pagus and Maddox (BR 36).
Let us consider BR 76 as 'late', since we're trying to power up early.
- Animalcule: Only via: Rush, Rhagoh, Maddox, Wyngale; Rush and Wyngale as leaders can also trigger any other arcana this way.
- Blackout: Need 3 of Wyngale, Rush, David, Pagus and Maddox.
- Whiteout: Need 4 of Wyngale, Rush, David, Pagus and Maddox, w/ Wyngale or Rush as leader.
- Fatal Eclipse: Need, with 1st name as leader:
- Rush, Wyngale, Rhagoh/Maddox, David/Pagus/Maddox
- Wyngale, Rush, Rhagoh/Maddox, David/Pagus/Maddox
- Paris, Wyngale, Rhagoh/Maddox/Rush, David/Pagus/Maddox/Rush
- Paris, Rush, Rhagoh/Maddox/Wyngale, David/Pagus/Maddox/Wyngale
If you're developing a combat Rush, then our only choice is Paris, Wyngale, Rhagoh/Maddox, David/Pagus/Maddox which has the nice feature of containing several wards users.
Pro: Achieves RW and decent damage output for minimal number of party members.
Con: Arcana triggers less frequently than 8-man; mostly relegated to RW/fueling combat unions
We'll have one 4-man dedicated to RW and another dedicated to triggering as many arcana as possible.
There are many remedies users, so either
- pick 4 and use as the other 4-man Rush/Wyngale, Zolean, Yuniver, Leshau/Sheryl(BR 51)/Maddox/Pagus
or if Rush is mystic, use the above to get
- Paris, Wyngale, Rhagoh, Pagus and Rush, Zolean, Yuniver, Leshau/Sheryl(BR 51)/Maddox
Union 1's goal is to trigger RW as frequently as possible to fuel Union 2's arcana and combat unions. Union 2 exists to force trigger arcana. Union 2 can frequently pull Animalcule by "Hit 'em with status ailments", Blackout frequently, Fatal Eclipse and Whiteout occasionally through "Attack with Mystic Arts".
Pro: It's easier to pull off arcana early since Union 1 can (potentially) cast RW every turn to fuel Union 2 (who can force trigger in many ways).
Con: Obvious. This takes 8 party members.
A little note on 5-man: This will act similarly to a 4-man, but has the added benefit of potentially achieving a good formation (Pyramid III) with the right party members and can make a good transition team to lead into 4-man or 8-man.