I’m debating whether I should keep 3 full unions and a 4th half filled union or have 5 unions of differing amounts, 3 leaders a union as a minimum. PlayStation remastered version. Thinking 3 combat squads, 2 mystic. Thanks in advance
My current union breakdown:
Troops put in order of how they are placed in unions with class and focus listed with weapons.
Story progression: right before Undlewalt.
Union 1: Tank/damaged dealer, combat union:
Torgal- Legendary Swashbuckler, Seere, Letaje Princeps +1 , 100% combat focused. Possesses liberty belt, metallic stud, and Brionac.
Gaou- legendary hunter. Obsidian +1. Combat arts and lotions, but 100% combat focused. Possesses Premier belt and Wayfarers ward
Glenys- lordly cavalier. Ninja Katana +1. Combat and remedies, but 100% combat focused. Possesses Rubber soul and premier earring.
Blocter- legendary scout. Sagaris praetorius +1. Combat art and herbs, but 100% combat focused. Belt and wonder bangle.
Union 2: pure hit squad, attack and damage focused:
Jager- vagrant. Schiavona +1. Combat art only. Premier bracelet, wayfarers ward. Beawulf.
Roberto- legendary bard. FrostBlade +1. Power grip and potions. Justice wristlet, wayfarers ward.
Rush- lordly healer. Durendal, Olibanum. Dual wield, one handed, remedies. Liafort, marked mirrorglass. Talisman.
Union 3: Mystic hit/moral control squad:
Paris- legendary Paladin. Commanders great staff. Remedies, psionics up to stealth. Superlative ring, premier bracelet.
Zolean- legendary specialist. Daimyo uchigatana. Invocations to caustic blast, hexes to dispirit 3. Premier amulet, bracelet.
Irina- legendary scholar. Champions scepter +1. Remedies to kiss of life 3. Premier amulet, dead heart. Talisman.
Pagus- bishop. Elites rod +1. Invocations to caustic blast 2, remedies to revitalize 2, megalore. Wayfarers ward, heartache
Union 4: Rounded tank/attack squad. Combat focused only.
Caedmon- master marksman. Valac princeps +2. Fortune wristlet, ring of the astute ear. Dual two handed, remedies to restore, herbs to life powder, potions to red potion.
Allan- deathknight. Furfur +1. Premier belt, wayfarers ward. Dual power grip.
Emmy- legendary cavalier. Nightbloom, tuck +1. Same as above for items, (namul niram). One handed, power grip, dual wield, remedies, unique arts: hundred flowers, namul niram.
Darien- legendary scout. Pitchfork +1. Same as above for items. Two handed to flèche, herbs to vivification tincture, lotions to eye cream.
And battle rank 37
I usually build teams that can use as many arcana mystic arts as possible.
Assuming you talk about endgame, having five unions is superior in pretty much every way.
1. AoE spells, which are the most dangerous attacks in the game, hit each target individually, which means that your HP bonus from having more units in each union is negated.
2. Having three to four units (three meaty ones, four squishy ones) grants enough total HP to survive most if not all single target attacks.
3. The AP bonus is mostly useless, because it's highly unlikely that, considering low morale at beginning of difficult fights, you will get commands utilizing all of your Init AP. As the fight progresses, you will overflow on AP regardless of number of units.
4. Five unions give you the most mobility and flank opportunities, which are important for keeping morale and damage bonuses up.
Hope this helps!
Edit: I'd suggest 4 combat unions with a Revitalize user in each, and a single mystic arts group. The hardest bosses are single target, where combat arts outshine mystic arts by a ton.
Focusing on mystics arts or arcanas is a wasted of time believe me
However there are some of them really useful
2. Psionics >> Mixed Mesagge
3. Hexes >> silent and paralize gas and cachexia (great to negate enemies skills)
COMBATS ARTS, THOSE ARE THE KEY.
What do you think?